Friday round-ups aren’t solely reserved for Diane Rehm. Here’s my gathering of some of the many new sweethottnesses gracing the universe:
- Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn. Read it. Thank me later.
- Baked Brie. I’ve made this twice in the past 24-hours, and my stomach is still screaming for more. Looks awesome, tastes even better. Oh, and it’s ridiculously easy to prep.
- 3/4 c. pecans, chopped, toasted
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, fully thawed
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 – 3 Tbl. dark rum
- 1 round of brie
Preheat oven to 400F. Mix pecans, brown sugar, and rum. Unfold pastry on a foil-lined cookie sheet, and place pecan mix in a circle in the center; set brie on top. Fold pastry up over the cheese so it’s fully covered. Bake for 12-15 minutes (golden brown). Serve with sliced Granny Smith apples & crackers.
- Poetry slams. While I have yet to perform in one, observing is exhilarating. Three years ago I had the privilege of seeing the final round of Brave New Voices, the International Youth Poetry Slam Festival. The depth of emotion that the teens brought to their performances was breathtaking. Want a dose right now? First, buy some Kleenex, and then go rent Louder Than a Bomb — a documentary that follows four different high school slam poetry teams in Chicago. See a performance of one of the featured teen poets below:
- Songza. This app is like a listening to a mixtape from an old friend. It conjures playlists based on your mood & activity (drinking at a dive bar; walking through a city; feeling classy; making out; etc.) I cooked dinner last night to ‘Motown Dance Party,’ and it was fabulous.
- The Very Best: This musical group lives up to its name. Here, the music of the Global West (Swedish DJ Radioclit) meets the music of the Global South (Esau Mwamwaya, pop singer from Malawi). Mmmm… it’s kinda like Ladysmith Black Mambazo and a Euro rave party birthed a love child. They released their fourth album, MTMTMK, a few weeks ago. The song below features Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend fame (and former Teach For America corps member).
Have a superhott weekend, my friends.